The Good Fight: Advocacy

I recently heard “The Fighter” by Gym Class Heroes featuring Ryan Tedder of One Republic.  Their video, which you can download and view here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxV-OOIamyk , showcases the inspirational John Orozco, world class athlete and 2012 Olympic gymnast from the Bronx, New York.  I love it!  It inspires me to keep up the good fight, as my friend calls it, regarding mental illness awareness and erasing the stigma.  I may not be an Olympian, but this Mom is a fighter too.  How is she a fighter?  She is an advocate.

As I listened to the song I thought about those that advocate for mental health awareness and erasing the stigma like Bring Change 2 Mind, Karla Smith Foundation, Silent Siren and The Balanced Mind Foundation.  I find that I feel thankful to each of these organizations for instilling a sense of hope and universality as they work diligently to provide free educational materials, resources, support groups, community partnership programs for emergency responders, partnership programs for military installations and so much more.  Simply put – these four organizations are phenomenal for all they do and stand for.  Talk about advocacy!

You may be asking, “What is advocacy?”  According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary, an advocate is “one that pleads the cause of another, one that defends or maintains a cause or a proposal or one that supports or promotes the interests of another.”

Furthermore, while listening to the song, I also thought about my family and how far we have come since Kim’s battle with bipolar disorder unfolded.  I am so proud of my husband Bill, my children Paul, Kim and Katlin and our parents, siblings, extended family and friends.  I am thankful for us coming together to lift one another up during one of the most challenging times of our lives.  We are beyond blessed to have such an amazing family!  I love all of you beyond measure!  You are my Olympic team!

If you find that you would like to become an advocate and help raise mental illness awareness and erase the stigma or fight the good fight for another cause whether it’s animal rights, children’s rights, elder care, human rights, medical/health or another cause all it takes is reaching out to your community of interest and asking what you can do to help and advocate no matter how young or old you are…

Or as Gym Class Heroes sings:

There goes a fighter, there goes a fighter

Here comes a fighter

That’s what they will say to me, say to me, say to me

This one’s a fighter

What we gonna do?  What we gonna do?

What we gonna do?  What we gonna do ya’ll?

A couple of excellent places to start are:

www.bringchange2mind.org

www.karlasmithfoundation.org

www.nami.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Inform_Yourself/About_Public_Policy/About_Public_Policy.htm

www.silentsiren.org

www.thebalancedmind.org

www.worldadvocacy.com/

Growing stronger…

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “The Good Fight: Advocacy

• stacysflutterings says:

I am so glad that you are going to check out the links! They really are incredible organizations. If you find that you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I’d be more than glad to help. Not only can we make a difference, but advocacy at any level can be very healing for everyone involved.

All the best!

Stacy

1. Shirley Mullen says:

Stacy, once again you’ve done it! Your words, your drive, your committed fight to raise awareness instills that desire in others. As one member of your personal Olympic Team, I’m fighting! Love, Mom

2. Grown and Flown says:

I do volunteer work at NY Presbyterian Hospital in two psychiatric units. I admire the courage of the patients and their families and am in awe of the treatment and help given there. I have learned much in three years!

• stacysflutterings says:

Your volunteerism is to be commended! I am honored to hear from you. I agree…the courage of patients and families is remarkable. I know that on our journey we have met some pretty amazing people. Thank you for being one of them!

Happy volunteering and kindest regards,
      Stacy

3. Kelsi says:

You are such an inspiration, Stacy! You are awesome! I’ve actually been thinking about you lately, and am so glad to see a post from you. I was actually in therapy the other day and finally told my psych about some concerns I have, and it turns out I may fit the mold of a form of bipolar called cyclothymia and borderline personality, though it’s too soon to be certain of either one since they are kind of blended together. At least I spoke up about what I was feeling, and I have you to thank for that. I hope things are going well with you and your family.

-Kelsi

• stacysflutterings says:

Hi Kelsi! So glad to hear from you again and so happy to hear that you are seeing your doctor. Thank you so much for your kind words. It isn’t me that is the inspiration – it is you! I admire your courage to advocate for yourself! I hope you received the information about the Erase the Stigma conference next month. It may be of some interest to you. If you are looking for area resources let me know. I’d be very glad to help.

All the best,

Stacy

• Kelsi says:

I did receive your email. Sorry I hadn’t gotten back to you. Things have been busy. I do hope to attend the conference next month, but it’s not really certain yet. If I need anything, I will let you know!

Kelsi